Holland America Sunrise Fitness "Cocktail"
Sunrise Fitness "Cocktail"
(from A Taste of Excellence Cookbook, Rudi Sodamin)
Yield: 1 Serving
An elegant wine glass lends a touch of luxury to this refreshing parfait of fresh fruit, yogurt, and granola. Set your table with fancy linen, light a candle or two, and you'll never think of "healthy breakfast" the same way again.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- ½ cup unsweetened grated coconut
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds or cashews
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus extra for baking
- ¼ cup honey
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup fresh berries and diced mixed fresh fruit (such as banana, cantaloupe, or pineapple)
- 6 ounces (¾ cup) berry yogurt
- 1 heaping tablespoon granola
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts, toasted
- Mint sprig, for garnish
For the Granola
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, coconut, and seeds (or cashews).
- In a small saucepan, heat oil, honey, and vanilla over medium heat until bubbling. Drizzle oat mixture with honey mixture and stir to coat.
- Spread granola evenly in prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly golden, stirring once halfway through.
- Remove from oven, transfer to bowl, and let cool. (Store granola, covered, for up to 1 week in refrigerator.)
For the Parfait
- Set aside 1 or 2 pieces of attractive fruit for garnish.
- In a wine glass, layer half the fruit, half the yogurt, the remaining fruit, and the remaining yogurt.
- Sprinkle granola and walnuts over the top.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and reserved fruit. Serve immediately.
Feel free to use your favorite store-bought granola in place of homemade.
Try to incorporate a variety of colorful fruits or vegetables into your breakfast. They not only look appetizing, but they also provide the wide range of the vitamins and minerals your body needs to maintain good health and energy levels.
- Tino Daab, executive chef